Re: laptop serial port

Mark Leuck wrote:
> "G. Morgan" <alarmpro@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 19:21:06 -0400, "Don" <don@xxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=ACP50US
>>>
>>> looks like one way to go to get a serial port on a new laptop.  any
> others?
>>
>> What's more fucked up is something I ran across today, a brand new HP
>> desktop with NO PS/2 keyboard and mouse inputs.  This sucks because
>> often I use KVM swithes and we only stock PS/2 mice and keyboards.
>>

> Those are legacy ports and will not be on ANY laptop in the near future

There is no requirement to remove them. Most manufacturers have removed
them from consumer level laptops in order to save money and space, but
on commercial laptops several manufacturers continue to offer legacy
ports, and will do so for the foreseeable future. Dell (d620), HP
(nc8430), Fujitsu (E8110), Toshiba (Tecra M5) are popular products for
business and commercial use where a serial port is still required, and
where a USB to Serial converter will often not work.