Re: Where to place smokes/heat?

I would have to concur that Morgan's replay was a bit harsh.

Here are a few of my thoughts:

I woulnd't necessarily duplicate placement of the of the 120VAC with
the alarm company's smokes but there should be some overlap with the
idea being those are the smokes that, when they go off will summon
outside assitance.  No one s home, the 120's go off, the place burns to
the ground---all the while they're beeping away.

A heat near the furnace area is a good idea, smokes placed in the
hallway outside the sleeping spaces and, at least, 1 on each floor.
Tops of stairwells.  Don't put smoke in unheated attic spaces, etc.

A couple of things to remember:

1) most smokes are listed for 30' spacing in open areas (the detector
will detect smoke 30' away, in a timely manner) the spacing actually
increases in hallways, in most residential areas you don't need a bunch
of smokes.

2) Not sure I would recommend ADT.  Whoever you get, ask a few
questions before you let them install fire protection in your new home.
 Are they NICET certified in fire protection systems?  What is the
lsited spacing for their detectors? (smokes 30' and 135F heats are
typically 50').  Is there panel listed for residential fire protection?
 Ask them to see a copy of their inspection forms (as per NFPA 72,
systems must be inspected at least annually).  Another good question
would be what chapter of NFPA covers residential fire alarms?  If they
don't answer Chapter 11, tell them to take a walk.

Regards, and good luck--

Jewellfish