Re: Press "1" for English

>> Where we really differ on this is in your belief
>> that the existence of non-English speaking
>> minorities somehow harms the rest of us.
>
> I would have to agree with your more reasoned
> argument.

Careful!  Agreeing with me will get you attacked by a few folks here.  :^)

> I'd still say, however, that nobody's doing anybody
> else a favor by encouraging them to stick with
> their first language after they've moved to the USA.
> But, in light of the obvious (to me...now...) fact that
> kids will learn English no matter what, I guess it's
> kind of moot.

I don't think we do anyone a favor by offering language options on phone systems.  That is a business decision, like advertising.  I
choose to advertise my websites in certain venues.  That's not a favor to people browsing the web.  It's a means to get people to
browse my sites and, hopefully, buy something from me.  Likewise, I answer questions from DIYers and newbies.  It's helpful but it
also helps my business.  Some folks don't like that but c'est la vie.

I prefer to let people determine for themselves what they can or are willing to do.  Learning English is to the immigrant's
advantage, no question.  But if some don't learn that is their problem.  I like that public schools offer ESL classes for new
Americans.  It helps kids achieve and lessens the burden on other classes.

I don't agree that immigrants are ruining our hospitals as one moron propounded.  Most of the people crowding city hospital
emergency rooms at night are actually poor Americans with no insurance.  Sure, some are Hispanic, but that doesn't mean they're
illegal.  Of course, in the racist's mind everyone he doesn't understand and everyone who doesn't look or sound like him *must* be a
criminal, illegal alien, terrorist or at least someone after his daughter.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics