Re: Fire Alarm System Inspections. How and how much?

Elevator recall in my area is controlled by ANSI/ASME code and tested by the
state elevator inspectors.  However, an AHJ can require whatever he wants.
If he wants a general alarm to recall elevators, then he gets it.  The state
elevator inspector is testing lobbies, shaft and equipment room devices and
he doesn't care what else recalls the elevator.  Remember that what code
requires is a MINIMUM requirement and the AHJ is free to require more if
they so desire.

As far as duct detectors, code allows them to be programmed as a supervisory
device but they MUST shut down their associated air handler on alarm.  I
have several towns where the local officials insist that they be programmed
as supervisory.  Not all addressable fire panels support smoke detectors as
supervisories, so this sometimes becomes a problem for us.

My 2 cents.