Re: Fire Alarm System Inspections. How and how much?

> Also some fire sprinkler "flow detector" switches are also tied into the
> main electrical circuit breaker. If you open a test valve (which simulates
> one sprinkler head popping), then the flow switch trips, it activates the
> alarm *and* trips the main building breaker!

Hmm.  That's one I've never seen.  How and why would one wire the building
mains to the fire panel?  I've connected commercial fire alarms to shut down
HVAC air handlers but the air handlers start up again as soon a the test is
complete.  It's best to stick around and check to be sure it restarts
though.

Whatever you do during testing, always inform people on site first so they
don't panic.

One person mentioned NICET certification.  In some locales that is a
requirement.  Other places,  the license is all you need.  As to continuing
education, if you plan to stay in business, it's a wise investment.  I don't
install any more.  I only sell online, but I take manufacturer training
courses at trade shows every year to stay on top of new technology.  In Jim
Rojas' case it was a business decision to disengage from certain aspects of
the trade and there is nothing wrong with that.  But if you do wish to tap
into what can be a lucrative market, ignore Mugford and definitekly take all
the related CEU classes you can.

--
Regards,
Robert L Bass