Re: Law Suit in NJ

Nomen Nescio wrote:
> Everywhere Man said:
>
> >As for the alarm company getting smacked for 4.5 mil..... tough shit.
> >Next time secure the place better, using proper design, equipment, good
> >installers, and top shelf monitoring.
> >If I get sued for a client losing his ass because I provided an
> >unrealiable system then by all means hang me out to dry.
>
> Horseshit!
>
> It said this case was a subrogation action, which means that the computer
> company had burglary insurance, filed a claim, and got paid...and now the
> greedy goddamn insurance company wants to pass off the loss to the alarm
> company or its insurance company.  That insurance company made more in
> premiums in one year for that burglary insurance policy than the alarm
> company made in five years of providing a real, honest-to-God service --
> and now they want to make the alarm company pay off when their customer
> gets robbed??  Fuck them!
>
> When you are selling an alarm system for $25 to $50 a month, you can't also
> afford to provide five million bucks worth of burglary insurance.  In fact,
> for those prices, you can't even afford to hire a lawyer to argue about
> whether you're at fault or not.  That's why we have limitations of
> liability in our contracts:  if one customer gets robbed and sues you, you
> will eat up many years of monitoring profits defending yourself, even if it
> eventually turns out you weren't at fault.
>
> If you want to assume the risk of having to pay off if your alarm doesn't
> prevent a loss, then you will need to set your rates according to how much
> your customer has to lose.  Nobody assumes a risk without getting paid for
> it.  And you can be damn sure your insurance company will follow that rule,
> too:  it will want to know how much it might lose if your alarm doesn't
> work, and set its premiums accordingly.
>
> You think this is just a matter of putting in good systems, but it's not
> that simple.  Many years ago, jewelry store insurance was prohibitively
> expensive for many people, and some jewelers did without insurance.  These
> cheap bastards also bought cheap safes.  They figured all they needed was
> an alarm.  When they got robbed anyway, they sued their alarm companies
> rather than face the consequences of their own poor decisions.  No doubt
> they also bitched about the high prices the alarm company was charging.
>
> Many factors go into whether a customer suffers a loss, and most of them
> are not within the alarm company's control.  Why should an alarm company
> assume the risk, when its customer is cutting corners on physical security,
> insurance, and maybe even his alarm system?  A customer might not even tell
> you about his million dollar stamp collection, leaving you to think you're
> just doing an average house job.  Until he gets robbed, of course.  Then,
> you sold him an inadequate system!
>
> - badenov <

Just one little question to better understand what you're saying. Are
you telling me the alarm company was FORCED to sell a system to such a
high risk client? If they weren't then I maintain my tough shit
standing. Next time they'll be fully prepared. I walk away from high
risk clients all the time. One thing I do agree with Brinks on is their
refusal to install for high risk clients.
Rule of thumb:
Don't install a system where the potential liability claim is greater
than or remotely close to that of your current liability insurance
coverage, and don't come running to me for a handout for your legal
battles because you bit off more than you can chew.
This type of shit is caused by greedy bastards trying to sneak one by
the insurance company, who in turn tries to collect from another sneaky
bastard who tries to sneak one by his insurance provider annually.
Unless of course you're going to tell me that nobody cooks the books
for the insurance audit.

I'm in business for me. I'm not in business for someone in New Jersey,
and I don't live in this faux fear that what happens in Jersey will
soon find it's way here.
If it does then I will deal with it accordingly. I can't speak for any
of you but I have an attorney on payroll. That's a must.
I didn't open a business because I know how to install alarms. I opened
a business because I know how to manage a profitable business.

Our industry is cluttered with dimwits who think all they need to know
about running an alarm company is equipment pricing, monitoring deals,
pretty service vans, and labor saving devices. Sacrifice the weak and
save the herd for Christ's Sake.
Enough protecting inept goofs with my cash.

I'm a Blockbuster Video member too but should I chip in to help some
guy in Idaho who's being sued by his neighbor for having his volume
cranked while watching SpaceBalls?

And if you call me crotchety tonight I'm going to kill all of you old
fuckers with a 9 iron to the temple :-)