Re: CCTV lens calculator

Bob Worthy wrote:
> What names did you decide on? Other than the DVR, for the market you
> discribed, I choose names brands everyone is familiar with. Made the sales
> easier and gave the client a comfort level right out of the box.

Well, as I say, I've been searching catlogs and asking people what they
use and why.
I've been (re) learning what spec's cameras and DVR etc, I should be
looking for (nowdays, compared to 15 years ago) . Then a couple of
weeks ago, I spent 2 days at the ISC show in NY and went to just about
every CCTV booth.  The following is the equipment I've going to order
to experiment with. Not sure which I'll end up using. Keep in mind this
is for residential.

One of the things that I kept repeating at the show was that most of
the equipment that has any capability seems to be priced for the
commercial market. That is, in commercial you drill a hole through a
cement wall .... run some wires along a drop ceiling, down a wall by a
secretaries desk .... hook it up and walk away. In residential.... al
lot ..... lot more has to go into hiding wires, making the system work
though the TV, snaking, and not have a jumble of wires showing behind
the monitor on the kitchen counter. And ......  Yes, we still need the
varifocal lens, back light control, day night all that other nice suff
but we need that in a camera that falls into the $200 to $300.00 range
because the rest of what we charge is going to be eaten up in snaking,
interfacing and control with existing monitors and making it look nice.
And $89.00 camera is out of the question. On the other hand,
residential doesn't seem to be as demanding on resolution of picture
and day night capability. As well as less stringent requirments for any
DVR, except internet viewing. So these are the items I'll be trying out
over the next couple of months.

DVR
Everfocus EDR 410 H
Everfocus EDR 810 H
I like the compactness and simplicity of operation of these units for
residential use.

Speco
DVR4 or 8 or 16 TN

But I like the following one ( on paper), best so far, but I'll have to
buy one and check it out.

Power Telecom
Mercury model
MPEG4 pentaplex standalone DVR

They have better modles also. I'll be ordering one in the next couple
of weeks.

Cameras

Everfocus EHD525

Speco CVC7445EXTP

I intend to use LCD monitors and I don't think it's necessary to decide
on
just one, as they all seem to be pretty equal. I see some pretty
economical LCD monitors in Office Depot and Staples which I think would
be adequate for residential use.

One thing I did recently learn and that is that I may have to re
evaluate my choice in cameras because ....... I found out that the
infra red light sources are not ( in fact ) LED's and that they only
have a life expectancy of about 4 or 5 years.
I was under the impression that they were LED's and had a long useable
life like a regular LED. I've got to follow up on this information and
perhaps decide that it might be better to pay a little more for a low
lux camera rather than have to go back to the end user in a few years
and say Oppppps,   it's time to buy a new
CAMMMMMMMMRAAAAA!

I've got to find out if repair of the light source is
possible/economical.

Were you aware of this?