Re: CCTV lens calculator

Bob La Londe wrote:
> "G. Morgan" <alarmpro@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > Anybody recommend a good and free CCTV lens calculator?
>
> I don't do many "cheap" installations so I basically just keep two lenses on
> hand.  They cover 99% of my applications.  I keep a 2.8-12mm Varifocal AI
> and a 5.5-33mm Varifocal AI lens on the shelf.  The 2.8-12mm covers probably
> 95% of all applications and its pretty darned inexpensive if you shop
> around.  The savings to go with a fixed focal lens is more than outweighed
> by the labor savings when the customer asks me to adjust the field of view.
> I just hand the customer one of my GMRS radios and tell them to stand in
> front of the monitor while I go get on the lift, climb the pole, setup the
> ladder, or whatever.  I tap in a t-connector at the camera (if signal
> strength is not an issue and I use my inspection monitor so I can see what
> they see.  One trip up the ladder.  One lens on the camera.  When the
> customer says ok then its OK.  If they want it changed in the future then
> its a billable service call because they said it was ok the way it was
> before.
>
> It also helps them to understand things like, "No.  Wider is not better.
> More cameras is better."
>
> For field calculations prior to bidding a job I have an eyeball monitor and
> a 12VDC camera that I run off a battery pack.  This often helps me show
> customers what they will get before hand, and the preparedness often lands
> the client.  There are a few cheap skates out there who will try to use that
> info to do it themselves.  Let them.  Once they have demonstrated what they
> are I am always too busy to help them when they call back. "Gee, we are
> awfully busy right now.  If you really want us to look at it I have a whole
> in my schedule in about 5 weeks.  If you want us out you need to schedule
> for that time now.  There will be a charge for coming out of course."  If
> they hem and haw, when they call back I seem to have always scheduled that
> time, but if they can put it off another week I might be able to work them
> in.
>
> Its all about maximizing your time.

I'm just getting back into doing CCTV. I dropped out of CCTV work about
15 years or so ago becuse I decided I wasn't going to compete with the
guys who were selling equipment for cost and $200.00 for a days pay.

Recently, it's taken me about 6 months and a couple of exibits to get
down to the few pieces of equipment I want to deal with. There's just
too damn much equipment out there to decide upon. I've been thinking
about doing just what you said above, regarding bringing a camera and
small monitor to do estimates. Most people think that everything they
see on TV action programs is available for $1.95. They want a lens on
one camera that can see the entire parking lot, the license plate
number on the car and identify the person in the car too. It's a lot
easier to show them than trying to explain FOV, MM, distance to object,
lighting, backlight control and day/night switching and why. And that
pan and tilt and going from 2.5 to 70 MM, doesn't just happen like in
the movies. I've decided that $800 a camera inside and $1000.00 (w/o
PTZ) outside, is going to be what it takes to get me to do it. I'm
sticking with residential and MAYBE small commercial if it's for an
existing customer.  Anywhere from $2 to $3k for the DVR and $600, on up
for the monitor. I figure that pricing ought to keep the work fairly
high end and enable me to keep my work schedule within 3 to 4 weeks
with all the other things I'm doing.

But I gotta tell ya, it was tough trying to choose the equipment. Too
DAMN many choices!