Re: Comcast Telephone Service????

ABLE_1 wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have been reading and attempting to understand this issue of VoIP.   I
> have talked some out of using any VoIP service because of all the problem
> expressed.   Well it finally happened.  I have a customer that decided to
> get his phone service thru Comcast Cable network.  He indicated that he was
> told it will work with an alarm system.  The panel is a NX-8E.  So I asked
> him "is this VoIP??"  He says what is that???  So I says Voice over IP.
> "No" he says,  "I don't think it is."    I says well we need to test to make
> sure that it can really work.  So we test..................  six times total
> we send signals.  And it worked every time.
>
> So here is my question.  What is Comcast doing or did we just get lucky??
> Any all thoughts here would be very much appreciated.
>
> TIA
>
> Les

Digital Phone

The way the folks at Charter (the cable provider here) explained it to
me was that the phone signal is only travels on the broadband connection
from the house to the cable provider.  From there it is returned to the
normal phone lines.  Something about that seems to not have the effect
that true VOIP does.

Of course you are still facing the power outage issues.