Re: smoke detector wiring

I'm assuming the reversing relay is for interconnecting the sounders, in
which case you'll need 6 conductors at each detector rather than 4. As far
as conductor size, with 18 interconnected sounders, you should consult with
the manufacturer for the wire size required for your total wire length and
number of detectors. 18 guage fire rated wire is spec for the detectors- I
don't know what is spec for your sounders. You're on the right track with
EOL resistors and power supervision modules at each detector.

For what it's worth, if you could find Multiplex addressable detectors
(instead of 4-wire) that work with your system, it would be SO much easier
to configure and install, and probably cheaper. That way, you retain the
ability to know exactly which smoke tripped, but eliminate a great deal of
extra home-run wiring, relays, zone expanders, and power supv modules, and
probably the need to physically interconnect the sounders. Multiplex wiring
is a wonderful thing for any large alarm installation, for both fire and
burg devices.

No, you shouldn't use the smoke sounders as aux signaling devices- use your
smoke sounders as they are intended- fire alarm only. For a house that big,
I would use an supervised Aux power supply, triggered from the alarm panel
output, driving 1 or 2 "talking" siren drivers, which in turn drive 2 to 4
siren-speakers each in appropriate places throughout the home.

Here's a link to a good "talking" siren driver-
http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-Ademco-745-Talking-Voice-Siren-Driver-all-alarms_W0QQitemZ6039383704QQcategoryZ41969QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And some siren-speakers-
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-in-box-Ademco-746-Siren-Speaker-Surface-Mount_W0QQitemZ6011821000QQcategoryZ41969QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
OR