Re: DSC 864 Serial Cable Length

I had some time over the weekend, so I went ahead and ran a cat 5e cable from the alarm panel to the room I have the pc in.

This is what I did as I already had the PCLink panel connection to work from:
·	I arranged the conductors at the panel end the same as you would do to make a cat 5e cable.
·	I crimped on a six conductor male plug leaving off the #1 orange/white and #8 brown wires.
·	I connected the wires at the cat 5e jack as usual.
·	I took the six conductor flat cable and connected it at the cat 5e jack and plugged it into the serial adapter.
·	The connection worked without any problems.
·	I then made a cat 5e cable normal on one end and took the opposite end and turned the connector upside down before I crimped it on - so the cable was like the flat wire cable supplied with the
PCLink. I did this simply thinking I might have a more secure connection at the cat 5e wall jack.
·	I then took an RJ45/DB9 adapter and configured it like the one supplied with the PCLink.
·	This connection also worked without any problems.

In conclusion, 50 feet from the alarm panel and making your own cable should not create any problems.

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.5 Beta 8