Re: New 10 digit dialing problems

On Thu, 4 May 2006 23:44:08 -0400, "R.H.Campbell"
<rh.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It doesn't seem practical (or
>even logistically possible) to make a visit to each panel to program the
>changes, especially for the largest companies with multi thousands of these
>panels in service.

A few years ago,  ADT in the US undertook a project to eliminate
bridge sites and their assoicated forwarded phone numbers.   At one
time each ADT district had an individual central station.  As
technology evolved, these centrals were regionalized and then
nationalized resulting in the need to forward signals of the older
systems to the national monitoring centers.  The exisitng local
central stations were converted to bridge sites.  Eventually these
bridge sites were eliminated.  A technican was dispatched to every
single account to reprogram the panels to dial an 800 number, so it
has been done before on a much larger scale than anything you have up
north of the border.  I'm not sure about  ADT Canada.  The project may
have extended to all of North America.