Veritas R8 Problem

This evening my Veritas R8 decided to emit a loud 'beeping' noise on
its external bell.  The alarm was not set and no internal alarm
sounded.  I was unable to reset the external bell.  The only way I
managed this was to trip the tamper alarm and then perform a user
reset.

I can't help but wonder whether it was some kind of warning indicator,
e.g. battery.

I'm just a bit worried that this thing will go off again at 3am.

The alarm has smoke detectors and in the installation manual it states
that the external bell makes a pulsing sound if one of these goes off
along with an internal alarm.  I didn't get the internal alarm.

Does anyone know what may cause this problem ?