Re: smoke detector wiring

What's wrong with 18 zones?  I like the idea of one per zone to make it
very easy to diagnose.  We have a 5000 sqft house and the layout is
such that 18 detectors is appropriate using the placement guidelines
supplied by System Sensor.  Sure, I could zone a few of them in the
hallways, but again, each on its own seems much more simple (expansion
boards are cheap).  Reviewing my post, I guess it is 14 of the
detectors listed plus three heat only plus one optical detector (for
end-to end coverage along the peak of a 30x60' great room with a 24'
high barrel vault ceiling) for a total of 18.

As for the aux alarm - I was just curious... figured the more noise the
merrier.  Not to mention I suggested that I figured it was a no-no.

Have I ever done this?  Nope.  I do know that I'll figure things out
and the final result will be a quality installation.  I'll also run all
of my final designs by the home automation and security company I'm
working with, but I prefer to do the research on my time since I'm
paying them on a consulting basis.  They don't normally work this way
but I'm "not an average DIY'er" (their words).  In our (very small)
town, we have electrical inspections only and I've got a friendly
relationship with the inspector and working through things with him.
I'm also talking to the local fire department about the setup as well.

Having lurked in this group over a year and having read a lot of
historical posts, I figured getting a worthwhile response was about
50/50.  My worst fear is that Robert Bass will reply, four people will
quibble over some local jurisdiction detail and then the whole thing
will be derailed with something about Bass being wanted by the FBI,
MI-6 and the Florida BBB /sarc.

Constructive feedback appreciated!