Re: Newbie questions

> Actually, I am not planing to spend $500, more like $200-$300 for one
> of those wireless system from online site.  I am not going to count on
> window/door sensors, but rather on motion detector for protection while
> nobody is home (the main situation for protection).

Need 2 levels of protection for an effective system- perimeter
(doors/windows) and interior. (motions, tampered drawers or cabinets, etc)
There is a significant advantage to catching a burglar BEFORE or WHILE he's
breaking in, instead of after he's already in. Layers of protection increase
your level of protection, and provide a form of "verification", since an
intruder moving through a premises will trip mutiple zones of protection.

> (3) Those pet immune motion detectors: are these thermal based detector
> such that they only detect living things with thermal radiation, such
> that the motion of a non-living object won't trigger them (such as a
> curtain blown by wind thru a window etc.)?

Some are Passive Infrared, some are both PIR and Microwave. Motion of
anything will trip a detector, since curtains or other objects do not have
precisely the same Infrared light (heat) signature as background objects. A
blowing curtain, helium balloons, and many other things will trip a motion
detector. Proper engineering and setup is vital to false alarm elimination
and proper catch performance.