Re: Newbie questions

"Stanley Barthfarkle" <sbarth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:b0H7g.67508$_S7.37560@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> (1) Is it really worthwhile to order the monitoring service together
>> with the security system?  I mean, most really depend on phone line to
>> call up the monitoring company for the alarm.  Aren't most burglars
>> smart enough to cut the phone line before they enter the house?  There
>> are some that provide cell phone dial up, but I wonder if that's really
>> worth the trouble.
>

> Monitoring has several benefits...
> a)- Peace of mind. Go on vacation and never worry about your house while
> you're gone.
> b)- Remote assistance. Someone hears burglar break in when alarm is off-
> pushes panic button to scare away intruder and initiate police call
> instantly.
> c)- Homeowner's insurance discount possible with some insurance. Most
> require a monitored intrusion AND fire detection system to be eligible.
>
> As far as phone lines are concerned- Yes, most burglar are smart enough to
> cut the phone line before breaking in. So, let's use that little piece of
> knowledge to our advantage. Cell backup, 2-way radio backup, or phone line
> hardening are the answer. Phone line hardening is my favorite- the actual
> phone line is brought into the premises through a hole in the foundation
> hidden underground. Then a "dummy" phone line is run exposed where a phone
> line usually runs, but is hooked up to a 24 hr silent "tamper" zone to
> initiate a police call when the lowlife burglar cuts what he THINKS is the
> phone line. Good chance of catching them in the act this way.
>

>> (2) Without the monitoring service, how effective is the alarm siren.
>> Isn't it relatively easy for the burglar to take the battery out of the
>> controller and the siren will stop shortly?
>

> It is not easy to defeat the alarm from dialing the central station if it
> is engineered properly. The control should be semi-hidden, and difficult
> to pry open. Even if locked, screws at each corner of the control make it
> difficult to gain access, and ensure extra time is required to disable the
> system.
>
> In a non-monitored system, it would take extra time to find and disable
> the sirens in a properly engineered system, but it is possible. Neighbors
> should be notified when your system is installed that your have an alarm,
> and to call police if they hear the siren, even briefly. The siren sound,
> however brief, will cause attention to be focused on the residence by
> neighbors...something the crook really doesn't want. That said, it is
> foolish to assume someone will always hear the siren, or will always react
> to it.

    In my home it was not possible to harden the phone wires so I put an
alarm loop in the phone cable. If someone cuts the phone cable, a 120 db
siren on the roof will sound, and a flashing strobe is activated. At that
point I expect a thief would probably leave very quickly, although I
understand that nothing except my Smith & Wesson will stop a determined
would be thief. As  was said, layers of protection. An alarm is a good first
layer of defense because the other method can be messy and incur possible
legal problems depending on thieves' rights.

Bob