Re: IP cameras on ring topology, not star

If, after presenting the info and benefits listed here, he's still
opposed to the idea, you might try asking his SPECIFIC issues with
wireless, then do a little research into those issues to either confirm
or allay his fears...

Pat Coghlan wrote:
> Yeah, I think it's worth flying it by the project manager again.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Matt Ion wrote:
>
>> J. Sloud wrote:

>>> This may be a good opportunity to educate your customer on secure
>>> wireless technology.  Secure, encrypted wireless is in many ways more
>>> secure than hardwired systems.  You can't cut wires where they don't
>>> exist. If your customer is worried about interference, check into
>>> licensed
>>> wireless and stay away from the 802.11 stuff.
>>>
>>> We've done numerous projects using wireless technology including DHS
>>> and DoD sites.  Well known examples are the Port of Oakland and
>>> MassPort.
>>>
>>> A couple links to check out:
>>>
>>> http://www.marconi.com/Home/customer_center/Solutions/Enterprise/Security%20%26%20Surveillance
>>>

>>> http://www.verint.com/video_solutions/index.cfm
>>

>> An additional benfit with wireless: you're looking at using hired
>> mooks to set it up and want the simplest cabling solution possible
>> because they aren't that technically competent... wireless would
>> eliminate that problem: the cameras could all be pre-configured in
>> your shop or office or whatever, so all the workers would need to do
>> is mount the cameras and plug them in to power.
>>
>> As this is only a temporary installation, what's supposed to happen
>> with all this equipment afterward?  A lack of cables would certainly
>> make take-down and cleanup a lot more efficient.
>>

>> ---
>> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
>> Virus Database (VPS): 0618-0, 05/02/2006
>> Tested on: 5/2/2006 9:23:57 PM

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0618-1, 05/03/2006
Tested on: 5/3/2006 11:57:56 AM