Re: IP cameras on ring topology, not star

J. Sloud wrote:
> On Mon, 01 May 2006 09:31:10 -0400, Pat Coghlan <info@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>

>>What goes on each pole, add/drop fibre mux of some kind?  Cost?
>>
>>Are you thinking of Sonet?  DWDM?
>>
>>Real world examples of this type of setup?
>>

> This may be a good opportunity to educate your customer on secure
> wireless technology.  Secure, encrypted wireless is in many ways more
> secure than hardwired systems.  You can't cut wires where they don't
> exist.
>
> If your customer is worried about interference, check into licensed
> wireless and stay away from the 802.11 stuff.
>
> We've done numerous projects using wireless technology including DHS
> and DoD sites.  Well known examples are the Port of Oakland and
> MassPort.
>
> A couple links to check out:
>
> http://www.marconi.com/Home/customer_center/Solutions/Enterprise/Security%20%26%20Surveillance
>
> http://www.verint.com/video_solutions/index.cfm

An additional benfit with wireless: you're looking at using hired mooks
to set it up and want the simplest cabling solution possible because
they aren't that technically competent... wireless would eliminate that
problem: the cameras could all be pre-configured in your shop or office
or whatever, so all the workers would need to do is mount the cameras
and plug them in to power.

As this is only a temporary installation, what's supposed to happen with
all this equipment afterward?  A lack of cables would certainly make
take-down and cleanup a lot more efficient.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0618-0, 05/02/2006
Tested on: 5/2/2006 9:23:57 PM