Re: Newbie questions

> (1) Is it really worthwhile to order the monitoring service together
> with the security system?  I mean, most really depend on phone line to
> call up the monitoring company for the alarm.  Aren't most burglars
> smart enough to cut the phone line before they enter the house?  There
> are some that provide cell phone dial up, but I wonder if that's really
> worth the trouble.

Monitoring has several benefits...
a)- Peace of mind. Go on vacation and never worry about your house while
you're gone.
b)- Remote assistance. Someone hears burglar break in when alarm is off-
pushes panic button to scare away intruder and initiate police call
instantly.
c)- Homeowner's insurance discount possible with some insurance. Most
require a monitored intrusion AND fire detection system to be eligible.

As far as phone lines are concerned- Yes, most burglar are smart enough to
cut the phone line before breaking in. So, let's use that little piece of
knowledge to our advantage. Cell backup, 2-way radio backup, or phone line
hardening are the answer. Phone line hardening is my favorite- the actual
phone line is brought into the premises through a hole in the foundation
hidden underground. Then a "dummy" phone line is run exposed where a phone
line usually runs, but is hooked up to a 24 hr silent "tamper" zone to
initiate a police call when the lowlife burglar cuts what he THINKS is the
phone line. Good chance of catching them in the act this way.

> (2) Without the monitoring service, how effective is the alarm siren.
> Isn't it relatively easy for the burglar to take the battery out of the
> controller and the siren will stop shortly?

It is not easy to defeat the alarm from dialing the central station if it is
engineered properly. The control should be semi-hidden, and difficult to pry
open. Even if locked, screws at each corner of the control make it difficult
to gain access, and ensure extra time is required to disable the system.

In a non-monitored system, it would take extra time to find and disable the
sirens in a properly engineered system, but it is possible. Neighbors should
be notified when your system is installed that your have an alarm, and to
call police if they hear the siren, even briefly. The siren sound, however
brief, will cause attention to be focused on the residence by
neighbors...something the crook really doesn't want. That said, it is
foolish to assume someone will always hear the siren, or will always react
to it.