Re: GE Devices

Nomen Nescio wrote:

> I'm glad you feel that way.  I'm not out to make anybody look bad, but
> let's remember how this all started.  You said:

>>No Jim- They wireless technology is also 10-20 years behind.
>>Rotating/rolling codes?
>>Not in Ademco or Napco Stuff.
I stand by the Statment that Ademco Technology is behind the times.
Others here
will no doubt say the same.

> I then proved to you that Ademco wireless does in fact offer rolling codes
> in its 5881EN wireless receivers.  That's a fact, not a personal attack.
And again, if you new about the RF Sniffe, you would have already tried
it on
a few manufacturers devices to see if what I said is true.

>>GE, although it states ELM Technology; it is NOT rolling codes.
>

> I've asked you several times now to explain what ELM technology is, if not
> rolling codes.  It's a sincere question, and I cannot find any better
> explanation on the web.  I've already admitted that I don't know much about
> GE/ITI wireless.  Now, if you want to help out, how about sharing your
> knowledge with the rest of us poor slobs and answering this simple
> question:  what is ELM technology, if it isn't rolling codes?
I am not employed by GE but I DO KNOW thru experimentation and trying it
myself,
that the GE FOBS do not roll codes. I don't have any info other than
their site about ELM.

>>Keyfobs from GE and some other Companies are not Supervised!
>>Think about why?
>

> Well, duh!  It would be pretty stupid to have supervised keyfobs when you
> know full well that people are going to be taking the keyfobs away from the
> premises.  Who would want a trouble signal telling you that a keyfob is no
> longer transmitting check-in signals?  A low battery signal is useful, but
> a supervisory signal is not.  Supervised wireless is for transmitters that
> will remain on the premises.
>

>>I guess my expectations from posters are more on the line of -" let's help
>>each
>>other out".
>

> I'm all for that.  I openly admit I don't know everything, and I'm all for
> learning from people who know something I don't.  And I can pretty much
> guarantee you can learn some things from me, too.  Let's show each other
> some mutual respect.
Guarantee it? some mutual respect moron.
> However, that doesn't mean I'm not going to ask pointed questions.
>
> You've said that GE/ITI wireless uses rolling codes for door/window
> transmitters and motions, but not for keyfobs.  I can't find anything on
> the GE website that indicates that is true.  Your statement  defies all
> logic, as far as I can see, and therefore I question its accuracy.
Thry it yourself- get a device that can read and let you know what the
"code rounds" sound like!

> If there is one component in a wireless system that needs rolling codes, it
> is the keyfobs.  Why?  Because if the keyfob always transmits the same
> signal to disarm the system, then at least theoretically, someone can
> capture that signal, duplicate it, and disarm the system.
>
> On the other hand, what good does it do to have rolling codes for a
> wireless motion?  If the code doesn't roll and the bad guys capture the
> signal and duplicate it, they will cause an alarm when they retransmit that
> signal.  Theoretically, they could cause false alarms, but they can't
> defeat the system.
>
> So, as I see it, it would be incredibly stupid of GE/ITI to design door
> transmitters with rolling codes, but not design keyfobs with that feature.
> And I have never seen any indication that ITI is stupid.
I guess accordind to your criteria, GE IS incredibly Stupid.

> Now, I'm writing all of this to give you some details on what I don't
> understand and why, not to attack your credibility.  Since you are more
> familiar with the GE/ITI product line than I am, I'm sure you have
> sensible, logical explanations for these questions.  I'll summarize:
>
> 1.  What, exactly, does "ELM technology" mean, if it doesn't refer to
> rolling codes?
Don't Know- Don't work for them
> 2.  Can you point to any GE/ITI documentation I can read that says their
> door transmitters use rolling codes?
Teach yourself- don't have to look in a book
> 3.  Can you explain to me why door transmitters and motions would use
> rolling codes, while their keyfobs do not?
ASK GE
>>Perhaps those of us
>>who HAVE credentials(whether experience or "sheepskins")to back up our
>>advice should "put our money where our mouth's are". We can offer
>>advice, help, and Constructive criticism via debate and postulation, not
>>by bickering.
>

> I'm not some DIYer.  I've been in this business for over 30 years, and I'll
> match my credentials against yours anytime.  All I would like from you is a
> reasonable explanation for your statements, and some evidence to support
> your claims.  Fair enough?
I'll pit MY 37 against your 30 FAIR ENOUGH?????