Re: Newbie questions

>    In my home it was not possible to harden the phone wires so I put an
> alarm loop in the phone cable. If someone cuts the phone cable, a 120 db
> siren on the roof will sound, and a flashing strobe is activated. At that
> point I expect a thief would probably leave very quickly, although I
> understand that nothing except my Smith & Wesson will stop a determined
> would be thief. As  was said, layers of protection. An alarm is a good
> first layer of defense because the other method can be messy and incur
> possible legal problems depending on thieves' rights.

Someone already mentioned a phone-line tamper module, so I digress on that
point. Yes, the thief will leave, but there is always the risk that someone
could "feel out" your monitoring company's or police dept.'s response by
triggering a false alarm several times, until they suspend response to it.
Anything that can be triggered on the outside should be silent, monitored,
and have a backup.

There are very few places where it isn't at all possible to harden, or at
least vastly improve, the security of the phone service line-

Concrete slab- Drill inside at a 45 degree angle through the slab to outside
approx 6-8" deep. Go slowly and let the pneumatic hammer drill do the work
so as not to crack a piece off of your slab.

Aerial drop- Get identical phone service cable (or some that looks very
close) and run the existing wire into the attic at the service loop. Bring
the "dummy line out through the same hole. Use electrical tape to bind these
2 together, so that it looks like some bozo phone technician did a cheap
fix, and gives you a bigger "knot" with which to hide the wire entry hole.
Send the dummy phone line down into a dummy demarc and you're set. Don't
forget the 24 hr silent tamper zone.