Re: FBI XL-1

Any type of trouble, or for that matter any type of alarm could send an "F"
depending on the CS format used and how the panel was programmed, the
default probably has nothing to do with it, an "F" has likely been
programmed into one or more reporting locations.
.
In the 3-1 format "F" would normally be interpreted by a Radionics and other
receivers as a trouble code.

If a 3-1 format is being used it was fairly common to program an "F" for all
trouble signals. Low battery and anything else the panel can report may ( or
may not) have been programmed to send an "F" on trouble, does the panel send
restores?, is their a trouble condition showing at the premises?.

My advice is to check the programming on the panel, something that should be
done whenever an undefined signal is received,  there could be other
unidentified codes just waiting to be sent.

Doug L