Re: home security systems

richirt wrote:
> I want to have a security system installed as I will be out of town
> alot. I live in the Minneapolis area and wondering if anyone has an
> opinion as to a good company with which to deal. The national ones here
> include ADT, Brinks, and Honeywell as well as a number of small local
> firms.

My best advice would be to have a look around the neighborhood.  Talk to
your neighbors!  Whose signs are visible?  Which ones are "local" firms?
  Check out their reports at the local BBB.  Call three of them and ask
for a review.  Make sure all three quote the same equipment (i.e. number
(and type) of motions, number of doors and windows, keypads, etc.) so
you can compare "apples to apples".  Ask them to leave a copy of their
monitoring agreements so you can review their terms at your leisure.
Don't succumb to (or tolerate) "pressure tactics".  A reputable firm
won't be using that.

A really good resource is http://alarm.org/pressreleases/10tips.html.

Good luck!!

Frank Olson