Re: Sprinklers in elevator Shafts

This situation is quite common in our area.

I can only speak as to the fire alarm portion of this subject, as the
rest is under the mantle of the elevator code.

If the hoist way, pit and mechanical rooms have sprinkler heads, then
there MUST be a heat detector (located within 2 feet of the sprinkler
head) designed to activate BEFORE the sprinkler activates.  The fire
alarm system should then activate a relay which fires the shunt-trip
and shuts the elevator down.

The rational behind this is that, water is a bad thing for proper
elevator function.

As you are aware, firefighters can override elevator recall functions,
in order to evacuate the building or just do what they need to do.  The
shunt trip is to stop all use of the elevator before release of water
and possible catastrophic equipment failure.

I am assuming that you are familiar with basic fire alarm installation
and releaze that the shunt trip must be a part of the fire alarm system
and that the power to activate the shunt trip must be supervised.

If your electrician friend still has questions about elevator recall
and shunt trip requirements, he may wish to speak with the elevator
inspector for your area, as they are really the ones who will be
inspecting for proper operation.  At least they are the ones who are
responsible in our area; the local fire AHJ is not typically, looking
at this area of the fire alarm system.

Hope some of this helped.

On the bright side, since this is a requirement under the code, your
friend can't be held responsible if it works properly and shuts the
elevator down.

Regards,
Bill