Re: Trap door or rising cage party store or bank security system

> I still think it is a interesting concept that is probably doable
> from a technical standpoint.  Probably not feasable for all
> the legal impliactions involved.

The first hurdle you'd have to overcome would be code approval.  No fire marshal
would allow you to build an automated man trap in a public facility because it
could hinder an innocent person's escape in the event of a fire.

If you could ever get the concept past the inspector, I doubt you'd have much
trouble for holding an armed robber until the police arrive.  Stores can legally
hold suspected shoplifters for the police without impunity in most states so
holding an armed robber shouldn't be a problem.

Mechanical problems would also need to be resolved.  For example, how would one
determine from where the cage should rise?  You'd have to build some sort of
lanes in front of the tellers to make certain the would-be thief is standing
precisely where you wanted him.

In the event of a false alarm, you would also have the probability of a lawsuit
from an innocent customer who was trapped or worse, struck by the rising or
falling cage.

It might be easier to accomplish this by building a man trap into the exit.  If
you were to allow only enough room for one person at a time to pass through a
turnstile, perhaps you could lock the turnstile with the perp inside.  One
problem with that arrangement is that there might be more than one robber
involved.  If you only trap the first one, you then have a very angry, armed
accomplice inside the bank.  Trap only the second one and the first guy gets
away.

There's probably a way to accomplish this though you'll have obstacles to
overcome.  I've thought about a similar idea but I don't have the engineering
skills to bring it to fore.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.