Re: Are there any convenient alarm systems?

Thanks, everyone, for your input!

I had browsed the newsgroup for about a half-hour before posting, so
I'm aware of the low regard in which you hold one particular dealer.
But I will say, in his defense, that he responded professionally and
was one of the few to give me actual recommendations (as opposed to
anti-product and anti-person anti-recommendations) and I appreciate
that help.  As a newbie with a random question, I'm certainly not owed
anything by this group, but it was nice to get some advice and product
numbers that I could follow up on.

UL listing was something I hadn't thought to check, so I'll keep that
in mind... I'm not particularly interested in doing DIY for a project
with this kind of importance, so I'm hoping that when I find a good
local installer he'll be able to help me sort through the tricky
details.  But now I'm aware of at least one gotcha, thanks!

Regarding "someone having to install" at a 200%+ markup - like anyone
else who's had a business, I understand the need to charge money for
services.  I'm happy to pay for installation of complex parts and
hide-away wiring work.  But specifically, I was talking about $95
keyfobs.  When someone so obviously overcharges for a small part (a few
of which came included with my $200 car alarm, for instance), it makes
you feel like the rest of their deal must be a rip-off as well.

Thanks again, everyone; I hope I'll eventually be able to track down
the "ipod" of alarm systems ;) (functional with well-designed UI)
Steve