Learning Resources

I have been reading this group for a little while now and am still
confused about what options are best for me.  I'm looking to install
some kind of security system to protect my family.  The house I live in
is about 30 years old and is a split, so running wire isn't too bad.  I
have experience with running network cable but not to doors or windows,
of course.  Are there some online resources someone can recommend so I
can educate myself about the options available?  Being a technical guy,
I'd like to learn a bit about how the various systems work.  Thanks in
advance.