Re: DVR suggestion?

Rocky T Squirrel wrote:
> Number One Failure We've noticed with the new crop of cheap DVR's..
> fans to small to keep those large hard drives cool.
> heat will kill the HD in short order..
> We average replacing the HD's about every 9 months..

Well, the drive carriers in these things are a generic off-the-shelf
sled-and-rails unit with a built-in fan... and I know those don't last
all that long, as I've used numerous identical removable bays in 3D
rendering stations... ugh.

> go with the more expensive units with the large air flow fans..

Yeah, unfortunately it's not my call... I'd think it would be an easier
sell for this customer, given that the VCRs simply aren't available
anymore, but they just don't seem to get the real differences between
these things and the "next level" that start at double the price *sigh*.

Of course, they also don't want to spend a whole $100 to add a UPS to
protect the VCR/MUX or DVR on every site, despite having to drop
anywhere from $200 to $2000 or more to repair or replace these units -
on some rural sites, as often as every 6-8 months - anytime there's a
serious power glitch.