Re: Help after break-in Brinks system

On 11 Jun 2006 10:34:14 -0700, mdbasinger@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Hello,
>I had a break-in last week. I have a Brinks system (about 10 years
>old). The burglers cut the phone lines so my system didn't alert Brinks
>or the police. The alarm sounded etc. but Brinks said because they
>don't get a signal they don't know when the intrustion happened.
>
>I checked with them about a "line-cut" feature, but they said my system
>is too old. Is this a good feature to have? How about the radio
>frequency backup. The rf feature would cost $100 per keypad and I think
>$7.00 extra per month.
>
>I have been a long time customer and thought I would get a break but no
>such luck. I am surprised that most people I have told of the break in
>have assumed that an alarm system always calls the police, even if the
>phone lines are cut. Is my system just so out-dated?
>
>Thanks
>Mel

Think about what you are saying.  If someone cuts your phone lines,
can you still make phone calls?   90% of consumer home alarm systems
work with POTS ( Plain Old Telephone Service Lines).   There are
modules you can buy that monitor the lines locally, but all they can
do is sound the local alarm if the line is cut or goes dead.  It
sounds like you might have had one of these.

Many sensitive commercial establishments (banks and jewelry stores)
have dedicated phone lines to a local monitoring service.  These are
expensive, but the service gets a "trouble" indication if the line is
cut and they can act according to pre-programmed instructions.

A radio frequency backup would be a good option but its cost should
not be based on the number of keypads.  It has nothing to do with the
number of keypads.

Beachcomber