Re: How to secure an abandoned building that has pigeons, etc.?

"autonut843" wrote in message
> ...Considering how I've never heard of anybody successfully bypassing the
> security at, say, Home Depot (where you can see all the sensors and
> keypads while you are shopping there), I seriously doubt anybody could
> successfully bypass the security at a building where they've never even
> seen where the sensors are...

So far as large retail stores, it is not unusual for someone to be there 24
hours a day. At night they restock the shelves and clean the floors. Many
have setups where certain portions of the store can have the alarm on but
other sections have the alarm off to allow restocking or cleaning. They have
things pretty well covered for loss from an outside or an inside person.

In general, alarms have been bypassed, but this is *very* rare. And I feel
the reason for this is WHO is doing the burglary in most cases. Most of
these people are not very bright to begin with. If they were, they would
probably have a job. Watch America's Dumbest Criminals and you will see your
typical burglar type.

In one situation I saw, there was a jewelry store which had bars on all the
windows and metal doors which required a key to open them from *either*
side. So this guy cuts a hole in the roof and jumps down into the store.
This triggered the alarm. Then he gathered up his loot and suddenly found he
could not get out of the store and could not get back up through the hole in
the roof! He was stuck there until the police arrived. Not very bright to
say the least. And this is how they are. Not capable of "thinking ahead" -
How am I going to get out of there, etc.

Then sometimes there are teenagers who don't know any better.

Of course there are a few bright and intelligent thieves. But I think most
of these types have gone to work for large corporations and spend their time
screwing you and I out of money by more legal methods.