Re: Compact cheap "surveilance" camera

Si Ballenger <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 22:18:21 GMT, Zed Pobre <zed@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>>I've previously bought gear from X10 -- once.  Then I discovered that
>>they're completely unrepentant spammers. :(
>>
>>I strongly recommend attempting to find another vendor.  The equipment
>>worked fine (control, not video), but I would suggest that this isn't
>>the kind of business you want to support.
>
> I bought from them and received email sales pitches. I finally
> returned the "take me off your list" in their email and never
> received another email from them. Not really difficult to do. You
> should have tried it. Easier than being angry. I think you can
> also opt out of the email notifications when you order.

I think you misunderstand: I don't have problems with companies that
add me to newsletters without my consent because I generate
company-specific e-mail addresses any time I order anything, and
simply delete them if I start receiving unwanted mail.  They can deal
with the bounces.  Since I make a point of never checking any "add me
to your list" boxes I see when I order, if I get mail, it's without my
consent, and I move the mail alias to my blacklist section so I
remember not to order from that company again.  That's not on the
level of evil that makes me recommend boycotts, though.

What makes me suggest that people avoid X10 is that they have been
involved in mass spamming of the more conventional sort, both by
e-mail and on Usenet.  As another poster noted, without adblocking
tech, their website is too annoying to navigate as well, or at least
it used to be.

--
Zed Pobre <zed@xxxxxxxxxxxx> a.k.a. Zed Pobre <zed@xxxxxxxxxx>
PGP key and fingerprint available on finger; encrypted mail welcomed.