Re: References for Brivo Systems Door Access Controls?

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 22:55:26 -0700, "Will" <westes-usc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>That's a shame that Brivo appears to have no option to run their control
>software on the customer's computer.   I don't like the security
>implications of the administration tool running on their computer.   What
>happens when someone steals my userid and password?   What happens when they
>go out of business?    How does Brivo uplink the access panel to their
>computers?    The panel is Internet connected and they connect to it
>directly?

I believe they have redundant servers at two separate locations - east
coast and west coast, maybe?  They'll claim this is more secure
because they have much better security at their server sites than
would a typical end-user with a local database housed on a box on the
receptionists desk.  With any remotely accessible system, you run the
risk of someone with your login and password compromising the system,
although with most systems you would also need the client side
software to be able to communicate.  As far as them going out of
business, you'd have to find some access control panels and some
software to replace Brivo with should this happen.  Their systems use
standard HID card readers.

J.