Re: Napco MA3000 - Dialer Test on both Lines?

Bass said:

>Nope.  You need to consider the thread in context.  The discussion was about
>a Napco MA3000.  The panel doesn't have an intrinsic function to test both
>lines.  If the OP is doing a new installation, he'll likely need to use a
>different product.

I'm glad you agree that this panel does not meet the requirements of the
current edition of NFPA 72, with or without the addition of one, two, or
three extra relays.

>> Test time arrives, and your relay shorts out
>> line 1.  Since the panel hasn't detected a phone
>> line trouble, your trouble relay does not prevent
>> this from happening.
>
>You really need to read what I said more carefully.  Shorting or opening
>line 1 is not done to cause a line trouble report.  It is done to ensure
>that the signal from a 24-hour zone is sent via line 2.

It's you who needs to read more closely.  Especially the part where I said,
"Since the panel hasn't detected a phone line trouble."  My point is that
if line 2 is bad (voltage present, but no dial tone), the panel's phone
line monitor will not detect a problem, and when test time rolls around,
your setup will disable line 1 as well.  Not a good plan.

I think I'll finish with a couple of quotes from NFPA 72, 2002 edition:

"4.3.1 Equipment.  Equipment constructed and installed in conformity with
this Code shall be listed for the purpose for which it is used.  Fire alarm
system components shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's
installation instructions."

Contrary to popular belief, the code does not say, "Install it any way you
want, so long as the AHJ signs off on it."  If that were the case, there
would be no need for a code at all.  The AHJ's job is to enforce the code,
not make up his own, and to interpret issues not addressed by the code.  He
does not have the authority to disregard a code requirement.

Section 1.5 addresses the issue of equivalency:

"1.5.1 Nothing in this Code shall prevent the use of systems, methods,
devices, or appliances of equivalent or superior quality, strength, fire
resistance, effectiveness, durability, and safety over those prescribed by
this Code."

"1.5.2 Technical documentation shall be submitted to the authority having
jurisdiction to demonstrate equivalency."

So, unless Napco approves your phone line testing system, section 4.3.1
prohibits its use, since these components are not installed in accordance
with the manufacturer's installation instructions.

If you want an AHJ to approve your design, section 1.5 requires you to
submit technical documentation to demonstrate that your design is
"equivalent or superior" to the requirements of the code.  Clearly, it
isn't.  Therefore, it's not eligible for an equivalency determination.

- badenov