Re: Is CSID of the alarm panel stored in company's customer computer record

Brent wrote:
> Looks like this newsgroup is dead.

Not really.

> Is the CSID of an alarm panel stored in the service provider's customer
> computer record to which customer service representatives has access to ?

The CSID is a unique code that's usually set up in the downloading
software to prevent another alarm company from remotely accessing your
computer (as in a take-over).  The code is only known to key personnel
of the installing company.  This number can be "blocked" from view (and
in some larger companies, usually is).  Typically only one computer is
used to download panels.

Can they access your system whenever they want?  Yes, but I usually call
the customer first to let them know that I'm going to be uploading their
system so they don't "panic" when the phone line goes dead for a few
seconds.  I'll call them back after the download is complete to tell
them that everything's alright.  Sometimes the customer calls me to
request a code change or to change the phone number of the pager alert.
   Downloading the requested changes is the easiest way to accomplish
this and I don't charge for the service.  The only exception is fire
alarm communicators which are only downloaded when the installer/service
tech is on site and the units are fully tested once all programming has
been done.

On rare occasions a customer will call to cancel their service.  In this
instance I always default the panel to the original factory settings
(installer code, CSID) and delete the telephone numbers and account
codes used to communicate alarms/troubles to our station.  The system
will continue function as a "local".