Re: Best Infrared Security Camera?

>On 11 Jul 2006 21:14:25 -0700, "phurley"
><patrick.hurley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>What is the best affordable infrared camera?   I have a $350 Color
>>Infrared with 66 LEDs and it doesn't do that well at night.   I figure
>>that cost isn't always an indicator.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Patrick

There are two types of "infrared" cameras.  What you are most likely
referring to is a monochrome camera that uses infrared illuminators to
enable the camera to operate in low to zero lux conditions.  The other
type is what's commonly called a thermal imager. Thermal imagers are
sensitive to the very small variations of surface temperatures of
whatever happens to be in the field of view.  These are very
expensive, but are not limited by the range of IR illuminators. They
can also see through fog, rain, snow, etc.

Extreme CCTV makes some very good infrared illuminators and cameras.
I'd check them out at http://www.extremecctv.com

Btw, there is a company called "Hurley" that makes some pretty cool
thermal imaging equipment including a 640 rez uncooled ir with about a
half-million dollar price tag.  Check them out at:
http://www.hurleyir.com/hir/