Correct Placement Of IR

Wondering what the correct placement of IR sensors are.  For isntance, let's
say you have a room that is a perfect square, 20 by 20.  Now, the north wall
ahs a large window on it and the east wall has a smaller window on it.

Are you suppose to face the the IR sensor in the corner of the south west
wall pointed at the direction of the two windows or would you face the IR
detector in the corner of the north west wall facing away.

I guess what I'm not sure of is are you trying to sense somone entering the
window befroe they get all the way in the house or when they have already
got int he house.  I'm not clear on if there are issues facing an IR sensor
at a window where sunlight might be, someone passing the window on the
outside might set it off, etc.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, just now real clear on what the "right"
way is.

The PIG