Re: Building a Central Station

> Y'all have been a big help in the past so
> I hope that you'll come through again.
>
> My boss has handed me the R&D project
> of spec-ing/pricing out what it would take
> to build our own monitoring station...

No doubt you'll be looking into many other aspects of building a central
station over the coming months.  Among the major selections you'll have to
make will be the automation software for processing alarm signals.  The one
I've worked with is called BOLD.

We used BOLD almost from the very start in our small, non-listed central
station.  The software has evolved over the years into a powerful,
comprehensive system.  The company was very good.  They were responsive to
calls for help when things broke, even on weekends and holidays (which seem
to be the only times things do break:)).

I don't know if they've changed in the years since I sold the company but
BOLD used to run on an operating system called THEOS (which stands for "THE
Operating System").  It's fairly easy to understand and well documented
though the THEOS company itself is sometimes difficult to work with.
Fortunately, unless you write your own software to run alongside or in
conjunction with BOLD, that won't be an issue.

I developed a few add-ons for BOLD to do things like displaying the account
information on the terminal when an incoming call came from an existing
customer or keyholder.  The folks at Bradley Online (makers of BOLD) were
very helpful in providing me with full documentation of the database,
protocols for interacting with it and the receivers, etc.

Best of luck.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass