Re: DAS NX4 Alarm - Dial mobile phone (Australian)

Bob Worthy wrote:
> "Jim" <alarminex@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
>>flynno wrote:
>>
>>>Geez thanks for that side splitting reply!  If I get a call on my
>>>mobile phone from my home and there is no one home..........I am then
>>>alerted to a possible problem am I not?
>>
>>You have to understand that we get this question and scenario presented
>>here VERY often. It is the unanimous opinion here, that being called on
>>your cell phone that your house is on fire, or that someone is beating
>>your wife to a pulp while you're in a "dead cellular area" or in a
>>business meeting with your phone turned off, is not at all a secure way
>>to do it. And what would you do if you DID get a call?  Rush home? And
>>then find that if the fire department had been called 20 minutes
>>earler, you might have saved your home? Or ......... Call the police or
>>fire department and tell them ....... what? That you got a call on your
>>cell phone from your alarm system but you don't know what's exactly
>>happening?
>>
>>If you feel that the security of your family, home and posessions is
>>not worth a reliable connection to the authorities, of course
>>........... that's your decision, but not one that anyone here would
>>agree with.
>>
>>If you have a security system, you have concerns...... why wouldn't you
>>carry through and pay .75 cents a day to make sure a proper response is
>>available, 24/7?
>

> Because the manufactures are STUPID enough to make such a ridiculous feature
> available. If they want to make a local panel only..OK. If they want to make
> one that reports to CS...OK. But don't put the consumer in harms way or give
> them such a false sense of security by having a panel report to a cell phone
> or pager. STUPID...STUPID... STUPID!!! That is strictly a marketing feature
> with no thought given to the possible outcome. I wonder how these marketeers
> would look at it if they were held responsible for the possible results?

Definitely not good security for all those reasons, but obviously a lot
of people want the feature.  Gotta give the people what they want or
they won't buy it.

I'd recommend being monitored along with real-time signal notification
to your cell phone via SMS/Text Messaging.  That way you get the signals
  via the C/S within a few seconds after the C/S gets the signal.  The
message on your phone tells you exactly what zone(s) tripped and you can
send a message directly to the C/S from your phone to tell them to
disregard or whatever.  If you are out of range, then the C/S will
handle the alarms as usual.

Of course, Monitoring costs Money, which is why people want the messages
directly in the first place.  Better to get a message direct and know
Something is going on as opposed to not knowing Anything is going on.
Just have the neighbors phone numbers handy to have them check on things
for you when you get a call from your panel (maybe pay them a couple
bucks to be available 24/7 for you).  heh heh