Re: DIY is a rocky road.

Sir, following are some easy to understand definitions of the four code
types you mention:

Installer code

This is the code which is used only to enter "low level programming". This
is the programming which defines how your panel operates, communicates, and
is used also to define how each type of zone is to operate (instant,
entry/exit, follow etc). In summary, this code is used by the system
installer to change the default panel settings to ones which define in total
how your alarm panel works. This code is always changed by your installing
company to one of their own, in order to limit those who may access the
settings in your panel which can affect it's ability to function properly.

User code

This is a code which is used to arm and disarm the system. It may or may not
be set up to do other things like bypass certain zones on the system.

Default Code

This usually refers to the code that is hard programmed in to the panel when
it is either new off the shelf, or has been hardware defaulted back to
factory specifications. It often is identical to the model of the panel in
question, but not always.

Master code

This is the code which has a higher function than the other user codes. It
can arm and disarm the system AND is the code that you MUST use to enter
user level programming for the purposes of adding, deleting or simply
changing the balance of the user codes.

Those who write the manuals are usually engineering or technical types, and
often the end results reflect their "mind think". Writing user manuals is a
distinct skill that a lot of companies gloss over. Poorly written manuals
are the result !!

Hope that helps

R.H.Campbell
Home Security Metal Products