Laminated (safety) Glass for windows-- two questions

I live in a neighborhood that is not that safe.  I currently have bars
on all of my first floor windows and feel safe with them.  However, I
am getting my windows replaced and would rather not have the bars for
athsteic reasons.

I am thinking about getting a security system and laminated glass in
the windows.  I have two questions for the group about laminated glass.

1)  Does it really help with security?
2)  Will it make the room darker than normal glass?

Thanks,

Andrew