Re: James Bond Credit Card Lock Picks

Some times the cheaper the lock like alarm
panel locks the harder they are to pick.

RHC: Yes, this can be the case sometimes. However, when any simple disc
cylinder lock fails to pick open, it is usually the fault to the locksmith
failing to do one thing in advance.

> That depends on whose lock it is.  Medeco makes (used to make?) a small
> cabinet lock that's extremely difficult to pick.  Locks on most alarm
> control panels can be opened with a pair of bent paper clips.  Most
> Kwikset door locks will open with a rake and a tension bar in 2 seconds.
> I wouldn't try a Schlage and Medeco although an experienced locksmith
> should have no problem with a Schlage.

RHC: Schlage is actually quite a precisely made lock compared to others such
as Kwikset and Weiser. And since picking a lock is largely dependant upon
the artist taking advantages of the manufacturing tolerances built in to the
lock, the more precise the device, theoretically the harder it is to pick.
On the downside, any dirt or accumulated crap affects them more than less
precisely made locks. Personally, I don't like Schlage locks and have never
sold them. Internally, they are far too complex and often quite difficult to
get apart to rekey as well. The biggest problem is they can't be keyed to
other than their own keyway, so unless all locks are the same make and
keyway, there's no chance of rekeying them alike (as you can with Kwikset
and Weiser).

> My sister-in-law locked herself out of her apartment in Brazil last year.
> Fortunately, only the simpler of the two locks on the door latches shut
> without a key.  I opened it in about 2 minutes with a pair of bobby pins.
> The other lock has 4 sets of opposing tumblers.  You have to align all
> four sets at once to move the cylinder.  It's supposed to be as tough as a
> Medeco.

RHC: I don't know of anyone who has ever picked a Medeco lock successfully.
Back when I was locksmithing full time, I used to hear stories about those
who said they could do it, but I never met anyone who actually was
successful. Maybe someone has actually done it since then, but I seriously
doubt it. Even if it was possible, it would take far too long to gain access
that way compared to other, easier points of entry.

Medeco locks are also of much stonger construction than conventional non
high security locks, with ball bearings built in to drill spots to stop a
thief intent on destroying the lock to get it open. Well worth the money for
commercial applications, but massive overkill for residential IMO. Expensive
to rekey as well !!  But again, ANY lock is only as good as the
strike...usually the weakest point in the door locking system !!

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html