Re: CS start up

>> whats 19K? one reciever (no spares package), one
>> puter, a cheap software package, and a 5K generator?
>
> You forgot the cost of the garage.

AFAIK, I'm the only one posting here who has done what the gentleman asked.
I bought a home from a doctor many years ago.  There was a separate office
area which was ideally suited for our non-UL central station.  Other than
the cost of the space I initially spent about three thousand on a central
station receiver, $10K on software + PC (Bold), ~$4K on an auto-start
generator and several thousand dollars more on phone equipment, etc.
Shortly after starting up I bought a second terminal to be able to do data
entry while monitoring via BOLD.

That was the bulk of our cost over 20 years ago.  I haven't priced out
monitoring packages in a while.  There are some recent developments which
might be of interest to someone just starting up a small CS.  Napco Security
has been promoting an Internet-enabled monitoring system which may
significantly lower the cost to a small CS operation.  Several other firms
are working on Net-based monitoring and a few products are already on the
market.  There are serious questions about the reliability of Internet-based
monitoring though.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass