Re: I'm sorry we don't provide service for...

Bob La Londe wrote:

> ... customers with a past due balance.

Do they get a monthly bill for monitoring?  Do they pay it?

If they're not paying their monitoring bill, would you consider (in
this case) to remotely re-program the panel to not call you anymore
(because they're a dead-beat) and hence leave them un-monitored?  Or
might that lead to a law suit if they got broken into?

Taking this further, what if the panel signals some trouble such that
it can no longer work properly - but the customer thinks it's still
working?  Would you perform service on it to get it working - even if
they're a dead-beat?  If you don't, and there's an intrusion that is
not detected, they might sue you.

I'm just wondering how service or monitoring outfits deal with the
possibility of a law suit in cases where the owner is a dead-beat (and
he gets broken-into) while necessary maintainence (or even monitoring)
has been withheld because of a past-due bill.

Side tangent:

Is it normal for monitoring and service companies to be the same
outfit?  If not, then does the service company get paid by the
monitoring company?  Seems that would be better than getting paid
directly by the customer.