Re: Slomins vs ADT vs Brinks vs any other home security system vendor

> I'm really not out to bash ADT.  In fact, I'm a fan...of the old ADT, back
> when they really were the best in the business.  But the things you've
> mentioned are both irrelevant and misleading.

That is patently untrue.  Mr. Sloud (who posts under his own name
rather than hide behind a pseudonym like "Nomen") rightly pointed
out that ADT is a very stable firm, unlikely to be sold to some
unknown entity.  While that is not the only consideration, it is
one thing a prospective customer will want to consider.

> ... the customer may never speak to the same operator
> twice. :-)  He's just one out of five million customers.

That doesn't really affect job performance.  There are good and
bad employees in every organization, including ADT and whoever it
is the above poster works for.

> I doubt the average homeowner knows, or cares, that ADT
> does a lot of government work...

That's an interesting subject to me.  I primarily cater to DIY
and small dealers but I get a significant portion of my orders
from government and military buyers.  I do agree that it's not a
major interest to the consumer other than as an indication that
the company is well-established which is kind of a given when the
company is ADT.

> There is a lot to be said for dealing with a smaller, independent
> company, a company that recognizes its customers when they
> call and truly appreciates their business...

In cases where the small, in dependant company does care, we
agree.  Unfortunately the homeowner has almost no way to know if
the company he's about to sign with is such a firm or if it's one
of those fly-by-nights like Milford.

> ADT recognizes the name "Uncle Sam" when he calls in.

And you don't?

> And Uncle gets better service than Joe Homeowner.

Not necessarily.  Saying so without proof is misleading and
unfair.

> I will give you points for the crack about Brinks.

My only major beef with Brinks is their routine habit of talking
to prospective customers about "investing in" security and
"buying" protection while not mentioning that the contract is a
lease -- not a sale.  The other major problem is the Brinks
system is proprietary -- it cannot be monitored or serviced by
anyone but Brinks.  Based on discussions with unhappy ex-Brinks
customers, they apparently almost never mention that in the sales
pitch either.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass