Re: Installing alarm system on a 'prewired' house

Zen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My house had the alarm 'prewire' option and most windows and doors have
> a magnetic contact in them. Also, in one of the closets near the
> entrance, there is a bunch of wires and 2 power outlets.
>
> In the closet, there are 7 white wires, 7 slight thicker gray wires and
> 1 green and 1 blue wire. I'm trying to figure out what these wires are.
> My guess is that there are 7 white and 7 gray wires because the house
> has 7 hardwired zones and the green wire is for the keypad and blue
> wire is phone line. Can anyone tell me what these wires are? Also, I
> couldn't find wires for a keypad anywhere else in the house. Does that
> mean I'll have to install the keypad inside the closet next to the
> panel or should I extend the cable for the keypad so it can be
> installed elsewhere?
>
> I'm considering buying a Ademco Vista-20PS with the 6270 graphic keypad
> and installing it myself, hopefully it won't be that hard.

> Thanks.

One more thing...  If the contacts are actually installed in the windows
and door frames, are there magnets installed in the windows/doors
themselves??  You won't need to "dig" out the wires to find which ones
go to the contacts.  All you need is a magnet and your multi-meter to
determine which one's which.  Hold the magnet to the contact and your
ohm-meter should drop to close to "zero".  Take the magnet away and
you'll read infinity (no continuity).  If you need more help feel free
to email me.