Re: NFPA Code Question

Nomen Nescio wrote:

> >> The system in question is a residential system.  This requirement does not
> >> apply here.
> >
> >The requirements do apply if the fire alarm system is used to meet the
> >minimum requirements of the building code (see chapter 11).  If this
> >system is installed in addition to smoke alarms, the requirements would
> >not apply.
>
> If I read you correctly, you are saying that in a household fire alarm
> system that does not use 120VAC smoke alarms, a smoke detector must be used
> to protect the control panel.  But if 120VAC smoke alarms are installed and
> system smoke detectors are also installed, then a smoke detector is not
> required at the control panel.  I think you're wrong on this one.  The
> smoke detector at the panel is not required in a household fire alarm
> system.
>
> NFPA 72 - 11.1.4 states:  "The requirements of Chapter 4 through Chapter 9
> shall not apply unless otherwise indicated."  You've cited a panel
> protection requirement from Chapter 4.  I do not see this requirement in
> Chapter 11.  Have I missed it?

See NFPA 72 Chapter 11.3.2 and A.11.3.2.

Where the building code requires smoke detection in a one or two family
dwelling, one of the following two methods are allowed:

1) Self-contained smoke alarm(s) installed in sleeping rooms and
outside sleeping rooms and on each additional level within the dwelling
or;

2) A system of smoke detector(s) installed in sleeping rooms and
outside sleeping rooms and on each additional level within the
dwelling.

Item number 2 requires a control panel, which in turn requires a smoke
detector to supervise the its location.

> Say, you're not a building inspector, are you? :-)

No.  As much as I'd like to be a building inspector, I can't.  My
parents are still married :)

> - badenov

Mike