Re: Need Advice For Packaged Home Alarm Purchase

There are a couple of things to watch out for; however, first you have to
understand how contracts are used in our industry. Long term contracts add a
measure of equity for the alarm company should they decide to sell their
accounts to someone else, so most companies will lock you in for the longest
term acceptable in your local market. They also allow the company to
advertise lower up front costs by amortizing part of the price of the
equipment in the monthly monitoring costs. All other things being equal, the
shortest contract term possible is generally the best way to buy for the
shopping consumer, since a long term contract will limit your ability to
shop elsewhere if your providers service deteriorates or you should decide
to move to a new premises etc (or for any number of other legitimate reasons
why you might no longer need the alarm monitored). With few exceptions, long
term contracts do nothing for you the consumer !!

That being said, regardless of the length of the term, try to avoid signing
a long term contract that has an automatic renewal term that is in excess of
a year. Read the fine print; some contracts will dictate that the original
renewal term will automatically be in force once again if they don't receive
written notice from you the consumer that you don't want to renew , some
times as much as three months in advance of the renewal date. The other
clause is a "cost of living" increase clause which allows the company to
annually raise the monthly amount, leaving you few options should you
object.

Remember, a contract is a legal document and you may well be held to it
after you sign it, so read and understand what you are signing. Always
calculate your total five year costs up front when comparing quotations from
various companies, including warranty and service costs which often don't
show up in their original quotes. Remember, there is no such thing as a
"free system"; you pay the piper up front, or as part of the ongoing monthly
costs !!

There is more information on my website on pages entitled, "how to shop",
"contracts", and "faq"

Good luck...

R.H.Campbell
Home Security Metal Products