replacing radionics panel

Hi,
  I recently bought a house that came with a security system.  The main
control panel is a radionics 2412U or something like that.  The existing
company is giving me a tough time on my VOIP setup - hey its not my fault
they won't support a new and fast growing technology.
  A lot of companies (the few that support VOIP) have told me the panel I
have should be replaced as it uses a proprietary data format and is tough to
reprogram.

  I am thinking of replacing the panel myself - so my question is - what
should I replace it with?  The house has only a 5 zones so supposedly any
panel will suffice.

  Please help this aspiring DIYer.

TIA,
CJ