Re: EOL's

My thinking was that if you open the door and the panel says it's not
open, even if the resistor were 5 times higher than normal, the panel
would have to show an open, unless 1) the switch contacts were stuck
together, which can happen when it is a mag reed and it sits for
prolonged periods without being used, or 2) the EOL is on the positive
side of the switch in the circuit and even a single strand of wire is
touching earth ground on the positive side of the switch.

The latter situation would essentially route the supervisory current
directly from the negative side of the initiating circuit (panel
ground) through the earth ground connection through the EOL and on to
the positive side of the initiating circuit, thus completing the
circuit.

Just a thought.  But the resistor alone in this case should not have
caused the panel to indicate a closed circuit when the door was in an
open state, that is if I understand your situation correctly.  I think
there's another issue here and not just the EOL, what do you think?

If a strand of wire were out of place, and if the EOL were on the wrong
side ot the switch, this scenario could occur.  Now, once you began
working on the door switch and EOL, you could possibly move the single
strand of wire away from the metal door frame so the earth ground
connection disappeared.  You do have the EOL at the door switch and not
inside the can, right?

I'd check to see if the EOL is on the positive or negative side of the
resistor.  If you find that it's on the negative side, then the
scenario I just outlined would be invalid.  On the other hand, if you
do find the EOL is on the wrong side of the circuit, I'd move it to the
negative side.where most manufacturers most often show it, unless it's
a dual-EOL initiating circuit.

Al