Re: Car alarm that goes off when in a certain distance

You could do something with a timer on a transmitter / receiver set up but
it would be awkward. Garage door opener stuff falls in to that reception
range I suppose but it's RF, not very precise.

What about those dog fences? Can you bury a line?

If you just want to detect a vehicle driving up, that's easy. I guess I
should have asked that first.
Something like this maybe? http://www.smarthome.com/7172.html
Bass would have jumped in by now but he gets uneasy at any mention of
probes.